Data harmonization is the process of blending your data from various sources, file formats, naming conventions and transforming it into one cohesive data set.
In a multi-channel world, marketing and sales data is siloed. On top of this, marketing is a team sport with many team members and partners running your campaigns, website and CRM in concert. At scale, it’s pretty common that not everyone uses the same terminology in their systems to describe your regions, products, and campaigns.
Refined Path starts by defining organizational goals and objectives. We then develop harmonization and research protocols that support these objectives. Implementation:
- IDENTIFY DATA SOURCES: Identify the relevant sources of micro data for collection and the acquiring of data to form data sets.
- CLEAN DATA: Clean and harmonize. The data cleaning process consists of identifying incorrect, inaccurate, or inconsistent parts of the data and modifying them. This is done in order to improve Data Quality and produce a clean, uniform and consistent data set for harmonization. A quality check is run on the data to make sure it has maintained an acceptable level of integrity and validity. Check for duplicated data entry, inconsistent, or inapplicable data.
- SELECT VARIABLES FOR INTEGRATION: Variables are identified and selected for harmonization. This can be quite tricky, since variables from multiple sources are rarely uniform. A balance has to be struck between practicality (finding information that is similar and works together) and purity (information that corresponds exactly).
- PROCESS DATA: The data is processed, converted to a common format where needed, and pooled. Now, every part of an organization can access the same up-to-date data. It can be filtered and presented to suit each department’s needs.
After passing its final exams, the data can be stored for use as needed. Data that has been harmonized is not static; it can be updated, either periodically or in real time to ensure that it is of use for each problem.
- ANALYZE AND ACTIVATE DATA: We then help organizations use the harmonized data to achieve their objectives. This may be custom analysis, data visualization or activating via MarTech platforms.